Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's Resolutions: To Do or Not To Do That is The Question


It is official...we have ushered in a new year...a new decade to be exact. And with that comes new goals, new lists, new resolutions or not...I could go on but I think you get the point. It's a new year and like many people, I'm sure we've all thought about the new and/or different things we want to do this year. The New Year's resolution we want to make. But like many people, by next week the resolutions will be long gone and forgotten and we will be back to doing things the "old way."

Or Not!

Maybe we (you and I that is) can start this new year off in a different way. Consider the following:

I want to pose two different questions and I'm eager to hear your responses. I'm not big on new year's resolutions myself. But I am always eager to see how God is going to move in my life and in the lives of those around me in a new year. So, with that said I'm posing two questions for this post:

1. How do you expect to see God move in your life in 2010? To answer this question you may want to think about somethings that you've been praying about or some ways that you've heard God speak to you in 2009...maybe this is the time in which He will bring those things to pass. However you choose to answer this, remember that the overall question is what are you expecting to see God do in your life in 2010? What doors are you eager to see God open? What ways are you desperate to see Him make? What changes need to be made? How are you expecting to see God move?

As for me...I'm expecting to see God open new doors for both my husband and I in ministry...new opportunities to proclaim the Gospel...to make God's name famous. More opportunities to learn of Him. I'm also expecting to see God use me in ways that He hasn't used me before. I am expecting to be stretched in 2010...to be developed...to be transformed. I am also expecting to see changes in those family and friends that I've been praying for. I am expecting to see God do some awesome and amazing things in my life and in the lives of those around me!

OK, so now that you have that question in mind, here is the second one:

2.) What needs to be done in you in 2010? Or what area is God calling you to be more faithful in? Maybe you need to work on being more patient. Or maybe you need the Lord to help you deal with how you express your anger. I encourage you to be honest with yourself, but also ask the Lord what needs to be done in you in 2010. I can be honest and say that I could definitely use some patience in 2010...I also desire to embody God's peace and not be so easily swayed by the things going on around me. Finally, I want to embody the love of Christ...I desire to be more loving. Not just to those who are easy to love but even to those who make it difficult for me to love.

I'm sure you already know this, but in order for us to accomplish these things we definitely can not do them on our own...we need the power and might of the Holy Spirit! So as you reflect on the thing or things that need to be within you, do so depending on the Spirit of God!

OK, so now it is your turn...How do you expect to see God move in your life in 2010 and what needs to be done in you in 2010? Write back, I'd love to hear from you!

Dionne J. Edmonds

No comments:

Post a Comment